Moving to a new house is a very daunting task and can take a toll on you if not organised properly. Let’s make things easier for you by breaking the tasks into chronological order so that you can organise and stay on top of the whole process.
In this blog, we have not only broken down the process. But have also guided you to go through all the important tasks during the relocation. We have also answered some frequently asked questions at the end. Make sure to stick to the end to get the most out of it.
Two Months Before Moving
- Make a moving binder; it will not only help to track everything but will also save you a lot of time.
- Sort your stuff to decide what to keep and what to get rid of. Also, find out which items are fragile and will require extra care during handling and transport.
- Give notice to your landlord if you have rented the place.
- Search for a moving company should commence well before moving day. Make sure you explore all options and get estimates from them. Choose a company that is certified and insured.
- Organise the school records of your children and get them ready to be transferred to the new school.
Six Weeks Before Moving
- Start procuring all the supplies that you are going to need for moving, for example:
- Bubble wrap
- Ratchet straps
- Permanent markers
- Special containers
- Start using all the stuff you don’t want to move, such as frozen food and cleaning supplies.
- Measure the rooms and doors at your new house to verify that all the big furniture can pass through the doors and fit in the house. This will save you from any difficulties that might arise after the transportation.
One Month Before Moving
- Choose the moving company and confirm all the arrangements like time, date and cost etc.
- Start packing all the stuff that you are not going to need for the next month, like seasoned clothes. Make sure to mark all the valuable and fragile items that require extra care during the handling and transportation.
- Label all the boxes with their contents and the room it is intended for. This will help you in organising and unpacking your stuff after you have moved.
- All the valuable items, such as jewellery and business files, should be put in a safe box. Make sure you transport this safe box personally in your car.
- Change your address at your local post office so that all your mail can be transferred to your new address. Do not forget this step because mail sometimes contains sensitive information like credit card and bank account details. So, you don’t want them to be misplaced at your old house.
- Notify all important companies and services that you have subscribed to, such as:
- Insurance company
- Your office
- Magazine and newspapers
- Utility services.
- House cleaning services
- Arrange all your medical records and get them ready to be transferred to your new healthcare providers.
Two Weeks Before Moving
- Apply for leave at your office and inform them about your moving plan.
- Clean your safe deposit box if you are changing your bank. Put all of its contents in the safe box that you are taking with you on a moving day.
- Tune up your car and get it ready because next month is going to be very busy, and you may not get enough time for your car then.
2 Days Before Moving:
- Refill all the prescriptions that you are going to need for the next few weeks.
- Aim to finish all the packing well before the moving day. Leaving a few essential things that you are going to need for the next two days.
- Defrost the freezer, empty it and clean it properly. Make sure you get it ready at least one day before moving.
- Confirm all the details with your moving company, including their time of arrival and all other services that you require.
On the Moving Day
- Make sure you arrange all the boxes in the moving van strategically because you have labelled all of them, and you know which box contains fragile items and cannot be stacked at the bottom.
- Give your house a last-minute go-around and check all the rooms and garages to make sure you are not leaving anything behind.
- Clean the house properly after moving all the stuff to the moving vehicle.
- Lock and secure all the doors and windows properly.
- Return the house keys to the landlord or new owner once you have moved into your new house.
Pack Your Moving Day Essentials
Make sure you don’t forget to pack the following essentials in the rush of moving:
- Important documents
- Credit cards
- Charger for your phone
- Laptop and charger
- Toilet paper
- Clothes for Changing
- Snacks and water
- Tape measure
- Trash bags
- Paper towels
Frequently Asked Questions
Who Should I Inform About My Change of Address?
You will need to inform the following about your change of address:
- Your office
- Insurance company
- Your local council
- The electoral roll
- Vehicle registration department
- Your utility providers company or not
- Your general physician and dentist
How Can You Forward Your Address After Moving?
You can set up a post redirection to make sure all of your posts that are addressed to your previous location arrive at your new location. This will also tell you about the persons who are still uninformed of your new address.
How Can You Organise the Move?
Moving to a new location is a daunting task. To make things easy, we have guided you chronologically. You can follow these instructions to make your moving experience smooth.
What Should You Do After Moving?
Make sure you check all the utilities. If any of the utilities haven’t been transferred yet, you should contact your supplier and ask them to remedy this problem.
After that, you can start unpacking and decorating your house according to your plan.
Where Can I Go to Change the Address on My Driver’s Licence?
You can go online to change the address on your driver’s licence. The official government website gov.uk can help you to do that.
How Long Will It Take to Pack a Moving Van?
It all depends upon the size of your house. It can take from approximately 5 hours to more than a day for some large houses.
What Questions Should I Ask the Sellers?
You can ask them any question that arises in your mind about your new house, such as:
- The main valve of the water supply
- Services provider companies
- Location of the thermostat
- Day of the collection of bins